LEVA Level 1: Forensic Video Analysis & The Law
Hosted by: Olasupo Umar, Managing Director, Stasoul Nigeria Ltd.
Course Location: Abuja, Nigeria
The increased use of digital video systems by the general public has made digital multimedia evidence (DME) a significant and integral part of modern criminal and civil investigations. Since there is no standard video recording system in use, the need for trained individuals who know how to properly recover this type of evidence has increased. Properly acquiring DME is crucial, as all other processes or use of the video is impacted by accuracy of the recovery. This course introduces and provides a fundamental understanding of DME, introduces the types of systems likely to be encountered, discusses legal issues related to DME, and focuses on the proper recovery of DME. Level 1 prepares first responders such as officers, detectives, and crime scene investigators who may be responsible for collecting video evidence with the strong foundation needed for the correct recovery of the evidence along with methods for accurately disseminating information derived from the recovered video. This class is also the first step for those students pursuing the Certified Forensic Video Technician (CFVT) or Certified Forensic Video Analysts (CFVA) certification and prepares the students for advanced classes in the field.
Class begins each day at 8 AM. On Friday, class will be dismissed by 3:30 PM. Those flying home should make return reservations that depart no earlier than 6:00 PM.
Who Can Apply?
- Employees of any international, federal, state/provincial, or local public safety agency including the Dept. of Defense, Dept. of Homeland Security and educational institutions, may apply.
An applicant for educational pricing should be either a person who is a full-time instructor at a nationally accredited educational facility or is a full-time student. Neither can be employed in the imaging industry. *Tuition rate is below.
- A select number of seats are available to the private sector (for-profit businesses).
With the exception of those applicants who supply video analysis services or CCTV equipment, other private sector applicants whose responsibilities include the development, sales or marketing of products or services to law enforcement will not be considered.
LEVA membership is not required to attend Level 1. Upon successful completion of Level 1, students will receive a complimentary LEVA membership valid until the end of the calendar year. Refer to the LEVA By-Law sections III and XVI for information regarding membership.
Credits and Certificate:
LEVA will also issue a certificate to each student who passes the course.
Completing this course is required before applying to the LEVA Level 2 course, “Digital Multimedia Evidence Processing.”
Successful completion of this basic level course satisfies a requirement toward LEVA’s Forensic Video Analyst and Technician certifications.
Students not seeking Certification may receive a Certificate of Attendance without taking the final course written examination.
- At anytime during the course, a student may elect not to take the final exam or may choose not to accept the results of the final exam. Students who elect either choice are eligible to retake the exam.
- Only those students, who achieve a passing grade in the course, including the final exam, will receive a Certificate of Completion. All others will receive a Certificate of Attendance.
- Students must achieve a Certificate of Completion in lower level courses in order to be eligible to write a higher-level exam.
- Students, who ‘opt-out’ of the course exam for any reason, may elect to take the exam at any regularly scheduled LEVA exam time during any of the core courses or the LEVA Annual Training Conference.
- The rescheduled exam must be taken within twelve months of the course taken.
- Students may retake an exam only once. If a passing score is not achieved, the student must retake the course.
Travel & Accommodation:
Students are responsible for securing their own lodging and all ground transportation.
The course will end by 3:30 P.M. on that Friday. Students should avoid scheduling a flight out Friday evening before 6:30 P.M.
No meals are included in the tuition.
Register by August 10, 2018. Do NOT delay as the this unique class opportunity will sell out quickly.
Graduates of the course receive a LEVA certificate indicating successful completion of the 40-hour curriculum. That certificate should NOT be interpreted as a certification of any type. Registering for any LEVA class indicates they fully understand they are not receiving any certification from this course alone and must refer to this training as LEVA's on their resume, CV or any discoverable document. This class is not conducted to officially endorse any product or service.
|Event Date||08-27-2018 8:00 am|
|Event End Date||08-31-2018 3:30 pm|
|Cut off date||08-10-2018|